Karela aka Bitter Gourd Masala serve with both roti or plain rice As a chil…
Karela aka Bitter Gourd Masala 🍲 serve with both roti or plain rice 👩🏻🍳💜
As a toddler I by no means appreciated the bitter style 🙈 however, as an grownup I’ve discovered that you could at all times take steps to mitigate the bitter style. This may be achieved by soaking it in salt water, or slicing and salting it for a few hours earlier than cooking it. That’s what I’ve achieved within the recipe right here. It’s undoubtedly time intensive however 💯 definitely worth the effort.
✳️ Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon are additionally a wealthy supply of antioxidants, flavonoids, and different polyphenol compounds.
four bitter melons pores and skin scraped with a knife, sliced size smart, deseeded and sliced in half rings
1 Cup oil for frying
Three tbsp canola oil for cooking
1 giant purple onions thinly sliced
1 tsp Ginger paste
1 tsp Garlic paste
Salt to style
1 tsp purple chili powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 tomatoes diced
four tbsp coriander finely chopped for garnish (non-compulsory)
– Generously salt sliced bitter melon and place in a strainer for an hour. Squeeze water out along with your fingers.
– In a big saucepan, warmth 1 cup oil and fry bitter melon on low to medium warmth for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain on paper towel and put aside.
– Take away the oil, go away Three tbsp solely in the identical pan and add onions to fry for 10 minutes on low to medium warmth, until it browns evenly.
– Add ginger and garlic, fry one other 2-Three minutes
– Add salt, spices and stir for 1-Three minutes.
– Add the fried bitter melon. Add diced tomatoes and fry on excessive warmth for 5-7 minutes.
– Dial warmth to lowest attainable level and canopy. Let it steam for 5-10 minutes.
– Add coriander for garnish 🍽️🌿